Sunday, June 20, 2010

Safari Father’s Day Hooray!!

Well I opened the door to the hotel this morning and low and behold Dr. Tullos was coming out of his room at the same time. Dr. Tullos is a father and so I asked him for a hug, I think my exact words were “Can I hug you, so that I can pretend that I’m hugging my daddy today?” He said of course and the day was great from then on! Dad that extra warmth you felt last night at 12:00…it was me hugging you:) We were on our way to Botswana at about 7:45 this morning and everyone was in good spirits. We crossed the border with no problems, but in order to get to Botswana from Zambia we had to cross the Zambezi River in order to avoid going into Zimbabwe. It was just a short distance but it was still a great ride! Once in Botswana, we began our African tour with a boat ride on the Chobe River where we got to see Cape Buffalo, swimming elephants, various birds, and HIPPOS! We saw so many of them and they were fun to watch…they are so lazy and slow! We spent the whole morning on the river and Kaylee, Lacey and I spent the entire time on the top deck of our boat…Grandma came up one time and we did a little yoga exercise to keep our blood flowing. Haha, I also think we are a little sunkissed from being up there for so long. After our fabulous lunch provided by the Safari people, we got in our cruiser and went searching for our wild animals. This male elephant was going after a herd of female elephants and walked within arms length of our car on my side. He was so big and it was a very neat experience. Soon after that, the mother elephant chased this guy and his buddy away from her girls. It was pretty funny to see them act just like humans. We were able to see every animal like hippos, elephants, giraffes, impalas, jackels, meercats, sables, crocodiles, lizards, and warthogs but not a lion. However, in his place we were able to see a leopard who was absolutely beautiful and it walked right in front of our vehicle and Rachel got this picture of it! Apparently leopards are rarer to see than lions so we happened upon a real treat.
It was a great day and because the trip required a lot of quiet time, it was very relaxing too. I hope all the Father’s had an awesome day and to all the Father’s I know, thank you for all you do and I love you! : )

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are seeing a lot and making lots of memories. Will probably seem strange here when you get back for awhile. Be safe....I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was too hot to sleep last night so I was probably awake when you hugged me (thru Dr Tullos). Thanks for the great blogs from you and all the gang. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine, I am excited that you got a Happy Father's Day hug! You were thought of today as we gathered for Father's Day. Tripp and Bullet can hardly wait to get hugs from you!
    I thank God for allowing you to have the opportunities that you are having in Africa. Can you believe a day will come when we will be able to love on the wild animals without fear of getting hurt! God is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures! It reminds me of all the pictures my family has from their time in Africa. I would LOVE to see animals in the wild like that (besides Loramy in the morning!) haha. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an exciting time for you!!! Your blog has been so great, I love reading it and thinking
    of you. We can't wait to see you. Be safe
    We love you

    Grammy and Big Dad

    ReplyDelete