Dear People of this Blog,
We had some internet difficulties once we got to the mission, but it is now up and running SLOWLY but surely :) So in an attempt to catch you up on what has happened here goes... We traveled 6 hours in a van on a double lane road that had occasionally potholes, overall it was smooth sailing though. There were people walking and riding bikes everywhere and they were walking for miles. There were children walking to and from school some younger than 7 walking all by themselves. It was amazing at how brave and confident they were to be by themselves. We saw many villages, market places, and the terrain changed every 2 hours it seemed like. The weather is awesome, I would describe it as West Texas in the Spring, 80 degrees, and not humid:) Absolutly wonderful! However it's winter here so people have their babies bundled in sweaters and blankets and everyone is wearing jackets, while we are sweating. Upon arrival at Namwianga, we dropped off our bags and became acquainted with our home for six weeks. It is more than we expected, we have purified running water, plenty of beds with nets, closets, and dressers. So grammy no need to worry. There is also a watchman at night named Webster and he assured us nothing would happen to us while he was on watch. After dropping off our bags, we went straight to the Haven (orphanage for babies-toddlers). We first went into the house that holds the high risk babies and they were so cute!! Of course the first baby I picked up was Lydia wearing a precious purple outfit. She laughed at me and kept placing her hands on my face. I was able to hold her for our tour of the house and while Meagan (the "Mom") was describing what they do for them and what each of them have been diagnosed with. It was all I could do not to start crying as I looked at the precious baby I was holding. We will get to spend every moment in the mornings and if we choose to in the afternoons with them. Introducing language lessons and helping the "moms" with the daily feeding, changing, and playing. There are 60 babies/toddlers at the Haven. I cannot wait to be with them.
After the Haven, we had our first meal with Lenard, our cook...fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, and bread:) This was only the beginning of our meals with Lenard. After dinner, we hung out at the house and decided that every night we will be having a house exercise which will be very entertaining! So I will eat Lenard's good food and then work it off. Well that's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I will have more later. Love y'all!
My Most Favorite Day in Africa
12 years ago


just so you know.....Grammy isn't the only one that worries about you...be safe, I love you...Renie
ReplyDeleteCatherine, I am thanking God for loving you more than I. I know you will share your love that you have been blessed with, with all of God's children and people. Don't forget to sing your favorite childhood songs to the little ones. And you have permission to tell any of my stories to the older children. :)
ReplyDeleteAww! Such a sweet blog!!
ReplyDelete